Monday, December 15, 2014

Nourouz--The Persian New Year

Paul Turano suggested I assess the footage I've collected to date for my Iran doc. As a first step, I edited a cut of a scene I produced in the Spring of 2009 about Nourouz, the Persian New Year.  A few days prior to the New Year, a special cover is spread on a Persian carpet or table. The ceremonial table, called cloth of seven dishes (each one beginning with the Persian letter cinn), is set with symbolic foods and objects. The seven dishes stand for rebirth, health, happiness, prosperity, joy, patience, and beauty. 

Seeb means apple and represents health and beauty; an orange floating in a bowl of water represents the earth floating in space.

Sabzi Polo, Persian rice with herbs, is eaten on Nourouz.

Coins represent prosperity and wealth. 

Candles represent enlightenment and happiness;  eggs represents fertility.


3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing you and your new work in January. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these stills from the film or separate photos. They look great! Looking forward to seeing you and everyone in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jonathan. I look forward to seeing you all as well. These are stills I exported from the footage.

    ReplyDelete